Friday, November 15, 2013

Child Abuse


Asking a child to sit in one of these infernal contraptions for six hours a day, five days a week, ten months out of the year, for 12 years, is child abuse.  I don't care how you arrange the desks--groups, circles, whatever, each child is still confined to a constricted amount of space amounting to approximately one cubic meter for a significant part of his/her childhood.  

"Oh, it's not that bad", you might say.  With the right teacher who knows how to "engage the children" it can be quite fun to sit in a chair all day.


But thanks to the special glasses I received while in the Rubber Room, when you see this...



I see this instead.





1 comment:

Terry said...

Hi Moriah -
I am glad to see you are back. I was a teacher, just like you. I experienced mobbing, just like you - all 5 phases, expulsion from the organization, too. I am currently doing a research project on self - identified targets of workplace mobbing from the U.S. public education system. I am focusing on the experiences people have after active mobbing behaviors end. I am not really interested in discussing the actual mobbing, unless people want to, but I am interested in knowing what was the time afterwards like and what experiences during that time were important. I read your blog awhile back, noticed you'd stopped posting, and hoped that you'd return, as you've had the exact experience that I'm interested in knowing more about. If you're at all interested, please contact me at octophobe08@gmail.com.

Terry