Sunday, October 16, 2011

How Does It Feel To Lose Control, Bloomberg?



Top Of The Mornin' To Ya, Bloomberg,

How are you feeling after you lost control of New York City yesterday?  Not too good, I'll bet.  Are you harkening back to the good old days when you were able to pen up 1000 people during the Republican convention?

You know, I can relate, I really can.  On Friday, February 6, 2009 I lost control of class 705. My students started shouting at me, "You called her a slut!  You called her a whore!" referring to Madelene Benders, one of their classmates.  I was in shock, trying to understand where this was coming from and swearing to God that I had not and would not ever do such a thing.

Yesterday, the crowd that took over Times Square was chanting:

"We are the 99%!"
"Banks got bailed out,  we got sold out"
"The people, united, will never be defeated"

In my case, a couple of boys, a relatively small portion of the class, had been instigating all week long, repeating over and over that I had called Madelene a slut and that the class should band together to get me fired.  In your case, a very small portion of the people have been repeating this same message about the people, the banks, and the 99% for more than a hundred years.  Nothing really happens until the majority takes up the chant.  Then things change.

In my case, the boys were operating with the full knowledge, consent, and support of the Principal, S_ _ _ _ _   T_ _ _ _ and her henchman, assistant principal  R_ _  Z_ _ _ _.  In your case, the crowd is operating without the support of the power structure of this city--in fact they are operating in direct opposition. 

In my case, I lost the hearts and minds of my students--not all of them, but enough.  Now, you have lost the hearts and minds of New Yorkers.  Maybe not all,  but enough.

In my case, it was a very controlled insurrection.  The students were in essence doing the dirty work of the principal -- helping to get rid of an unwanted teacher.  The overall power structure of the DOE, beginning with you at the top and filtering right down through the Chancellor to the administrators of each school building was not threatened by my students' chants.  This was in essence, a "controlled burning".   For you, the burn has now gotten out of control, and the whole freaking forest is on fire.

In my case, the children were lying, and they knew it.  In your case the October 15 crowds who gathered all over the world in every major city are right, and they know it.


No, Bloomberg, it doesn't feel good to have a crowd rise up against you with anger and hatred.    Now you know how it feels. 

Thank you, God, for letting me see this day!

No comments: