Friday, October 12, 2007

Crime and Punishment

Well it didn't take long. Last Friday, Principal S.T. did a "walk through" with an assistant principal. Today, the following Friday, I received this letter in my mailbox just before I left for the weekend. The letter reads as follows:

October 12, 2007

Dear Ms. Untamed,

I have scheduled an appointment for you to meet with me in my office on October 18, 2007 at 3:00 PM to discuss your lesson plan.

This conference may lead to disciplinary action. Please bring a union representative.

Sincerely,

Ms. S.T.,Principal


Cc: Mr. P.B.,Union Representative


Now, please don't hold it against if I take a few seconds to GLOAT.


I KNEW IT!!!-- WHAT DID I TELL YOU? I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOO!!!!!!!-HA HA HA--I AM THE W-O-M-A-N--- I ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself.

It's the heady power of prediction. Last weekend I wrote down every detail of last Friday's lesson.

I can't tell you how many of these meetings I have attended "with my union representative" and how frustrating and depressing they always were. Now everything is different, because I can see her coming a mile away. I know what she is going to say ahead of time. I will take incredible delight in describing every detail of the meeting on this blog and in as many other public venues as I can find. I am soooo glad I took the trouble to write everything down as soon as she came into my classroom a week ago. I can now enjoy this weekend without wasting a minute of my time thinking about her.

2 comments:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

This is harrasment. It is happening all over the city not just to you. I expect the same letter as you have recieved. They usually give it to you on a Friday so as to ruin your weekend.

My lawyer says you can record the session so long as you let them know you are recording. Now you may or may not want to go that route. Sometimes that makes the harassment worse sometimes that makes them back off. It is up to you.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

Don't expect your UFT rep to be an "advocate". In fact as more time goes by and you find yourself sitting with your UFT rep at more of these hearing he/she will distance him or herself from you and the silence will be defeaning.
Expect your colleagues to also distance themselves from you.

Yes it is depressing but remember more and more people are in your situation. You are not alone. DON'T GO HOME AND CRY--FIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Moriah -

You're an exception to many of what are cynically and VERY inaccurately termed "teachers" in this city. (Too many of them are consummate imbeciles, unschooled, untutored, inexperienced, and just brimming with their own ignorance which they interpret and trumpet as creativity and originality.)

You can think, observe, analyze, reason, and reach intelligent and courageous conclusions.

You can write impeccable English, something most Americans neither know how to do nor care anything about these lovely days in this lovely country.

The so-called principals concoct every kind of vile story, many of them utterly moronic, inane, internally contradictory.

The suits, primarily the lawyers, back them up and indeed give them specific scenarios to fabricate.

Sometimes kids are involved.

The moral morons who either actually exploit the kids by soliciting and suborning perjury, or who listen to, let alone believe, a kid over a teacher are sick, sick, sick specimens.

Your courage is something that I, a formerly harassed and nearly destroyed teacher, value.

Probably close to 1000 teachers sit in the rubber rooms now.

Thousands more teachers are being hounded and tormented as you are being abused.

I hurt for you.