Friday, May 6, 2011

What is a Competent Journalist?



I am going to interrupt my series of posts about the Three Incompetents, CARL CAMPANILE, REUVEN FENTON & YOAV GONEN, based on their article about Amy Woda in order to consider what we might expect from competent journalists.

I am not a journalist, but I am a member of the public that depends on journalists for the information they need to make responsible decisions.  I think that I can recognize when gross incompetents such as Campanile, Fenton, and Gonen are not doing their job just as non-teachers are confident that they know a bad teacher when they see one.  However, I think it would be helpful to see how experienced journalists define competency in journalism.  I would like to note that I am looking to EXPERIENCED JOURNALISTS, not first-year novices, not publishers, not advertisers, not the guy on the corner who sells newspapers.

I found a list of 10 skills that journalists needed in order to be competent.  I will be referring to them in future posts as I point out the many ways in which the NY POST fails its readers.

Moriah Untamed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Moriah!

I haven't commented on your blog in a long time, but I have a lot of useful information to share with you.

Is there a private email address for you?

Moriah Untamed said...

I can be reached at untamedteacher@gmail.com