Sunday, April 19, 2009

Moving Forward

Spring vacation is over, and tomorrow I go back to the rubber room. Even though I knew I was headed there, it was still a shock when it actually happened. However, after meditating on my new status, I now realize this isn’t the last stop. I did have a plan, which was to become a writer after my teaching career was finally over. The rubber room is probably my last stop as a teacher, and my first stop as a writer.

When I walked into school as a teacher, I was prepared to teach science to 150 students every day. The conditions weren’t perfect, but I did my job to the best of my ability because I enjoyed teaching, and I thought I was doing something necessary and important. Besides, what else was I supposed to do with 150 adolescents? The kids themselves drove instruction.

No one drives my writing but me. There are no deadlines, no editors, no bill collectors. Conditions still aren’t perfect. I have to overcome my own mental state that cycles from worry to fear to anger to sadness, and then back around again. I am surrounded by people who are dealing with the same emotions in their own individual ways. Some are loud, some are silent. Some are gregarious, some are introverted. Some are welcoming, some are hostile.

Some are conflicted about who deserves to be here and who doesn’t. Which of us are BAD teachers and which of us are GOOD teachers falsely accused of being BAD?

This is my take on the subject. No matter what people have done to get sent here, no one has done as much damage to children and their education as Bloomberg and Klein. In any given year a teacher has access to 30 students in the elementary grades, and about 150 students if they are middle school or high school teachers. The “damage”, whatever it might be is contained to single or double digits.

Bloomberg and Klein have instituted a corrupt and fraudulent system that abuses millions of children per year. Principle P. is one of many principals who have been trained to institute and perpetuate the BloomKlein regime in their schools. They can each abuse hundreds to thousands of students per year.

The people who really deserve to be in the rubber room are not here. They are sending scapegoats in their place. This, for now, is what I want to write about.

9 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Keep it going! You'll come out better for what they have done to you!

Alex at BB said...

Hi Moriah, I wanted to invite you to a DonorsChoose event with Stephen Colbert on Tuesday. It is very late notice but if your interested please email me as early as you can on Monday. alex@banyanbranch.com

The Veteran NY Teacher said...

I'm with PO'd on this. Now's the opportunity to hone your already sharp writing skills on DOE's payroll. Looking forward to your blogs. Keep us posted.

Chaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chaz said...

I am glad that you have accepted your fully-paid sabbatical for the remainder of this year and next. Now you can retire on July 1,2010 instead of 2009 and add to your pension.

Remember removing quality teachers for ageism, or because the Principal does not like you is encouraged by Tweed and that is why I call it "children last".

The Bus Driver said...

hugs, stay strong and keep writing. Never stop believing that you make a difference and that you matter. Because you DO matter. Bloom/Klein can't break you and you deserve better!

Moriah Untamed said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments. In my situation it means a lot.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever report what has been going on to any of the politicians or the outside agencies? Why don't you notify every State Senator, Assemblyman, and City Councilman of your blog for starters?

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

I am there with you! Stay strong and get stronger!