Monday, March 9, 2009

Dereliction of Duty

I received this letter from Principal P. first thing this the morning.


February 27, 2009

Dear Ms. Moriah

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009, I met with you and your union representative, Clyde Baker, to discuss your unauthorized departure from work on Friday, February 6, 2009.

On Friday, February 6, 2009 at approximately 1:26 PM, I verified that you were not in the building to provide instruction to you for the following day. My payroll secretary and I searched the building for you and could not find you. You could not be located in the school. I asked several individuals in the main office if you had reported that you were leaving, however no one could provide any information as to your whereabouts.

During our meeting, I asked you why you left the building without notifying a supervisor. You stated, “I punched out because it was my lunch period. I was not with students, nor was I going to be with students because you had me reassigned to the conference room. I always punch out and in when I come and leave the building. I wasn’t feeling good, but I intended to come back. I thought a walk would make me feel better. I was half way between here and my home, and I started feeling nauseous and dizzy, so I kept walking to my home and I called the school and left a message.” I asked you who you spoke to, and you responded, “I do not know”.

I conclude that your conduct exhibited dereliction of duty by not informing a supervisor on February 6, 2009 that you were not returning to the school. I note that you were given a copy of the Faculty Handbook at our first Faculty Conference in September 2008 (See attached copy of your signed acknowledgment of receipt) that indicates the policy of informing supervisors when you are leaving the building.

You are hereby advised that the above described conduct may lead to further disciplinary action including an unsatisfactory rating and disciplinary charges that could lead to the termination of your employment.

No comments: