Tuesday, December 4, 2007

KIDS FIRST

I had my meeting with Assistant Principal Z this morning at 7:45 AM. My UFT Chapter Leader was present.

The Assistant Principal asked me if I had given my students their report card grades prior to report cards being distributed.

I replied that I had.

He asked me how I had given the grades.

I replied that I had gone around the classroom writing the grades in the students' lab books. (I had also given them the option of writing the grades on any piece of paper they handed me.)

The Assistant Principal then told us that a parent called the school complaining that her child had come home crying because she had been embarrassed in front of her classmates. According to the child, I had announced everybody's grade publicly.

I was not allowed to know which child lied to her parents about me, or which mother complained about me without talking to me first.

The Assistant Principal then said that he had carried out an investigation and that the students in the class had verified my manner of giving the grades, and backed up the fact that I had not announced grades publicly.

You might think that I am happy about the way this matter was handled by the administration. I am not.

They talked to the kids before they talked to me. When they couldn't find witnesses to support the complaint, they had to give up. Then they contacted me.

This is a new understanding of KIDS FIRST.

My word is only as good as the number of 13-year-olds who agree with me.

I don't feel good. I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even had you announced the grades in your classroom, what's wrong with such a practice?

Read the decision of the United States Supreme Court in OWASSO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DIST. NO. I—011 V. FALVO (00-1073) 534 U.S. 426 (2002).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-1073.ZO.html

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Get those kids on your side. I know it is not a popularity contest but when they trust you and you trust them you will not go through something like this. I know it only takes one for the adminstration to go after you but trust me once the kids know you have their interest in mind most will be on your side--a little reward system goes a long way, usually food. Call the the parents and introduce yourself and let them know you are for their kids.

I know they have used that tactic against me but through time I learned how to counteract or should I say counter punch!

Good luck! Stay strong and don't let the bastards get to you!

Mimi said...

Just looked through your blog. I am speechless...you need to find another job...whoah.